Spicy Bacon Praline Pie
*Always use local, pasture raised + minimally processed ingredients when possible!
- Pie Filling
- 1 9″ Wholly Wholesome Pie Shell (whole wheat, traditional, or GF)
- 1 cup real maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 4 tbs butter
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, whole
- 1 lb thick cut bacon, sliced into 1/2″ lardons
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- pinch cayenne powder
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
Spicy Praline Bacon:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small pot, combine maple syrup, coconut oil, butter, and place over medium heat on the stove for about 5 minutes or until the butter has melted into the mixture. Set aside to cool.
- For the spicy praline bacon, pour the 1/4 cup of maple syrup in a small bowl. In a separate small bowl, combine the chili powder, black pepper, and cayenne. Set the two bowls aside.
- Place the diced bacon slices in a large sauté pan on the stove over medium-high heat. Allow the bacon to brown and crisp stirring occasionally.
- When the bacon is crisp but still chewy, remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- On a sheet tray, covered with parchment paper or a silicon mat, evenly lay out the cooked bacon and chopped pecans. Evenly cover the bacon with the maple syrup. Then sprinkle the chili powder mix over the top. Place the bacon and pecans in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until the maple syrup bubbles and thickens. Remove and let cool.
- Now that the pot of butter, coconut oil, and maple syrup has cooled, add in the beaten eggs, salt, and vanilla. Mix together. Gently fold in pecans.
- Pour the pecan mixture into the piecrust. Place the pie on a sheet pan and place in the oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the center of the pie is set. If the crust is browning too fast, cover with tin foil.
- Once the pie is finished cooking, top the pie with a generous amount of prepared Spicy Praline Bacon and enjoy!
If you enjoyed this recipe, I would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment below and be sure to share with family and friends.